Wednesday shopping list for this week's 'Easy-Eats'

Hello!

This week's Easy-Eats will be... Liver & Bacon with mash and red cabbage! I'm also going to include the prep for the Red cabbage also as it needs a day in advance to settle in with itself.

READ THE RECIPE THROUGH FIRST BEFORE YOU START COOKING! I’m not Jamie Oliver so I’ll cover my bases the first time round, rather than wait for a sack full of complaints from mums with insecurities about cooking.

Here's your shopping list:

Ox/calve’s liver 1 pack
Bacon 8 rashers
Maris Piper Potatoes 4, largest size
1 red cabbage

Larder list:

250ml of red wine, cheap is fine (keep a bottle in your larder for future use…or drinking if you’re a student/ignorant like I am)
2 Shallots
1 chicken stock cube/Knorr stock pot …with 100ml water
Butter
Sugar (to taste)
Vinegar (a wine based vinegar is best. Always have it in your cupboard.)
Salt & Pepper…obviously

Flour

If you have kids, get them eating liver early. Don't let them get fussy for the future; you'll thank me in five years. Liver is a relatively inexpensive and tasty way of getting some iron and vitamin A. Brilliant if you're anaemic, good if you're normal.

READ THE RECIPE THROUGH FIRST BEFORE YOU START COOKING! I’m not Jamie Oliver so I’ll cover my bases the first time round, rather than wait for a sack full of complaints from mums with insecurities about cooking.

Cabbage: AT LEAST 1 day before (that’s Friday to you and me)

Chop the shallots finely, as fine as you can get them without them being classed as a liquid. Add 1 knob of butter in a cold pan to get it started. Let this melt down over a gentle heat before adding the shallots. Sweat these off before adding the cabbage. The cabbage should be SLICED thinly into even strips so it will cook fairly evenly. To this, add the wine, a table spoon of white/red wine vinegar and a little chicken stock; cube is fine, Knorr stockpots are better. Quote Marco Pierre White; “your choice.” Leave the lid off and reduce the cabbage down. This is the point where I let you loose with the sugar. Can I trust you? 3 tea spoons of sugar normally does it for me, but depending on the wine you choose it may vary. Keep reducing until the cabbage is dark and the liquor is deep and velvety. Add a knob of butter to assist the velvety-ness. Leave to cool, seal in a Tupperware and set in the fridge. It needs an overnight stint in the fridge to let the flavours get to know each other a bit.


Comments

  1. Apologies for the lack of Guest-Wednesday post today; first week issues and all that. We should have everything up and ready for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Show me what the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts