Questions with a Culinary Legend: Andrew McLeish

Hello!
Today is the first round of Questions with a Culinary Legend, and what a place to start! Andrew McLeish is one of the most talented Chefs that I have met to date. He is a no-nonsense, straight up Chef who spends the majority of his days at the pass, mucking in with the troops. He is the epitome of what a Chef should be; under his tenure the restaurant has won 4 AA rosettes, Restaurant of the Year and a coveted Michelin Star.
1.      How did you first get into cooking? 
From a very early age Cooking always fascinated me.  I think I have always liked the military regime kitchens seem to have.
2.      How was working with Nico back in the golden days? What influences have you taken from his cooking and brought to Chapter One?
It was a fantastic experience to work with Nico with whom I am still in touch with.  The basis of my cooking comes from Nico’s simple but well-executed dishes.
3.      Did running afternoon tea at the Ritz help you devise the unique dessert menu and the financiers etc?  
I learnt an awful lot at the ritz, although I feel pastry has changed completely over the years and is now far more technical.
4.      How has your tenure at with the Chapters Group been for you? Do you have any highlights?  
Highlights within the Chapters Group must be obtaining the Michelin star, Restaurant of the Year and also receiving four AA rosettes.
5.      You have surrounded yourself with talented people from across the catering spectrum. Who in your team could you not be without? 
We cannot produce anything in the kitchen without a strong team in place and I have worked with many talents over the years.  I have also been let down by many chefs who just cannot hack the pace.  Without any doubt Dean my head chef is invaluable and also Nick my sous chef. 
6.      You’re a big fan of game and you shoot the rabbit that is served in the restaurant. Do you employ any other hunter-gatherer techniques for other meat/fish?
I would like to hunt all of the game I serve from Deer to rabbit, Hare and partridge etc.  But alas this is not always possible.  On the occasions i don't do the hunting I do have contacts with other local hunters and game keepers to ensure a good supply to the restaurant.
7.      What is the best dish you feel that you’ve created over the years? 
It is always changing and what I like today maybe different tomorrow. 
8.      Are you constantly striving towards perfection in all aspects of the dining experience? 
Perfection is something that is far away.  I am happy if we improve every day and we don't stand still.
9.      You’ve held the star and AA Rosettes successfully for quite some time now. Do you feel      pressured into trying to get to the next step?
I feel Chapter One sits comfortably at a One star level. I do not feel our price point or customers would appreciate an increase.  However it does cross my mind occasionally but then I come back to reality. 
10.  Knowing many people in the culinary profession, I know that you give up a lot to do what you do. Do you feel rewarded for your sacrifices? Are the long hours spent away from the family worth it?  
I do spend long hours away from the family and I am very lucky to have such an understanding wife.  It is not about feeling rewarded for sacrifices, I love what I do and that is enough.
11.  What is your favourite thing to cook and eat at home? 
An old fashioned stew. 
12.  Finally, are there any surprise developments that we should be looking forward to over the next few months?  
:-)

Comments

Popular Posts